Thursday, July 14, 2011

How about a little Summer Knitting?

This blog is still rather new so I figure I can make a fool of myself, right? Well this is me, in my horrible room.


Hello there! But enough about me. Hopefully you are here for some knitting action! First of all I am new to the world of knitting, with only a few years under my belt and well this is my first real attempt at anything special. 

See when I was first learning I bought 2 Skeins of yarn I thought I would be happy with, and now I am not, but it left me with a TON OF YARN!

What to do with this?
 And well I live in Texas where today we saw temperatures rise to a balmy 105. Thus while I haven't knitted and I want to knit something tells me that my wool scarf or that cool knit cap will have to wait until we at least drop to 80.  Never fear I have a nice light pattern. 

Cast on 20 ( I did 40, because I am a rebel like that)
knit 2 rows
(knit 1,yarn over twice) * ending with knit
(knit 1, drop the  2 yarn overs) * ending with k1
Repeat rows 1 - 4 until the scarf measures 50" , 60" , 70" or 80", or until desired length.
Bind off all stitches.
* Repeat to end

Super simple! All you do is KNIT!  And it gives the work this nice open weave look something I am calling netting. Which is what I have always wanted to learn how to knit. See...
 
I'm using size 11 needles, but any size will do!

But wait... I hear you complaining, "that is all fine and dandy, but what is this yarn over thing you are talking about?" 
Well my friends fear not, a yarn over is just what it sounds like wrapping the yarn over the needle. Like I said super simple and makes it look like it took forever. 

This is my first time using this stitch but I am already liking it. Have you used it? Am I delusional knitting in the dead of summer. Tune in next time dear reader! And all will be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment